Orjinal Araştırma Makalesi | Akdeniz Eğitim Araştırmaları Dergisi 2018, Cil. 12(26) 217-232
Investigation of Long-term Sea Training Problem of Maritime Students in Turkey
Gazi Koçak & Yalçın Durmuşoğlu
ss. 217 - 232 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.29329/mjer.2018.172.12 | Makale No: MANU-1810-11-0003.R1
Yayın tarihi: Aralık 29, 2018 | Okunma Sayısı: 97 | İndirilme Sayısı: 275
Nearly 90% of the transportation of goods due to worldwide trade is carried out by maritime transportation. It has a large share in the economies of the countries. The training of marine officers is of great importance in order to have a good maritime trade fleet.
In recent years, Turkey has significant developments in the maritime sector. Besides, a number of new maritime schools opened in order to increase the number of educated seafarers. The new schools resulted in increase in the number of students. Today, Turkey is the second country after China raising most sailors in the world. Hence, a new problem is emerged for students that they cannot find company for the long-term sea training. The factors such as inexperience of the students in the sector, lack of adequate company knowledge and decision of what type of ship they want to work also contribute to this problem.
In this study, the number of new maritime colleges, the number of students, and the number of ships in the Turkish fleet are analysed to observe the sufficiency of Turkish merchant fleet for long-term training of these students. The analysis shows the insufficiency of the Turkish merchant fleet and coordination problems. Solutions to this problem are proposed for a better sea training environment.
Anahtar Kelimeler: Maritime education, long-term sea training, maritime colleges, Turkish merchant fleet
|Bu makaleye nasıl atıf yapılır?
APA 6th edition
Kocak, G. & Durmusoglu, Y. (2018). Investigation of Long-term Sea Training Problem of Maritime Students in Turkey
. Akdeniz Eğitim Araştırmaları Dergisi, 12(26), 217-232. doi: 10.29329/mjer.2018.172.12
Kocak, G. and Durmusoglu, Y. (2018). Investigation of Long-term Sea Training Problem of Maritime Students in Turkey
. Akdeniz Eğitim Araştırmaları Dergisi, 12(26), pp. 217-232.
Chicago 16th edition
Kocak, Gazi and Yalcin Durmusoglu (2018). "Investigation of Long-term Sea Training Problem of Maritime Students in Turkey
". Akdeniz Eğitim Araştırmaları Dergisi 12 (26):217-232. doi:10.29329/mjer.2018.172.12.
- BIMCO/ICS. (2016). Manpower Report Executive Summary Final. Retrieved from http://www.ics-shipping.org/docs/default-source/resources/safety-security-and-operations/manpower-report-2015-executive-summary.pdf [Google Scholar]
- Emad, G. (2007). Evaluating the Competencies of Seafarers: Challenges in Current Practice, In T. Pelton, G.Reis, & K. Moore (Eds.), Proceedings of the University of Victoria Education Research Conference, 71-76. [Google Scholar]
- Emad, G., and Oxford. I. (2008). Rethinking Maritime Education and Training, International Maritime Lecturers Association (IMLA) 16th Conference on MET, pp 91-98, 14 - 17 October 2008 ,Izmir / TURKEY. [Google Scholar]
- Gemiadamları Yönetmeliği (Regulations for Seafarers). (2002). T.C. Resmi Gazete, 24832, 31 Temmuz 2002. [Google Scholar]
- IMO. (1996). International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended in 1995 (STCW Convention), International Maritime Organisation, London. [Google Scholar]
- Lewarn, B. (2002). Seafarer training – Does the system defeat competence? 3rd General Assembly of the International Association of Maritime Universities, 23-26, Maine. [Google Scholar]
- ÖSYM. (2016). 2016-ÖSYS Higher Education Programs and Quotas Guide Retrieved from http://www.osym.gov.tr/TR,12454/2016-osys-yuksekogretim-programlari-ve-kontenjanlari-kilavuzu.html [Google Scholar]
- Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure. (2016). Accessing Reaching Turkey 2016 Report, http://www.udhb.gov.tr/images/hizlierisim/d575cb3ab952110.pdf [Google Scholar]
- Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, General Directorate of Maritime Trade. (2016). Sea Trade 2015 Statistics Retrieved from http://www.ubak.gov.tr/BLSM_WIYS/DTGM/tr/Kitaplar/20161116_165220_64032_1_64480.pdf [Google Scholar]